Sunday 30 September 2012

GoPro fogging up issues.


Talybont Reservoir, Canon Powershot sx210 IS
Yesterday was a fantastic early autumn or late summer day, depending on your point of view. The weather was bright and sunny, but there was certainly a hint of winter in the breeze, which was quite keen. I joined a couple of guys from a local MTB club on a 22 mile loop in the Brecon Beacons, some parts of the route were quite technical and I can safely say my legs are shattered today! I'd not cycled this route before, but have walked a few sections in the past, the views were a definite reward for the hard work. The Brynore tramroad with spectacular views back towards Talybont Reservoir or The Gap, a well known mountain pass huddled below Pen-y-fan, with amazing views both back down the valley and the long climb you've justing ridden up from Pontsticill; and in front of you, towards Brecon and the decent that awaits you - a tricky, a loose surface of rock debris (some of which were pretty big!) winding its way off down the valley. Make sure you've got a spare inner tube or at least a repair kit - I ended up with a pinch puncture!
GoPro HD Hero 2

I used my GoPro on some of the latter stages of the route, and you have to admit that the quality of the footage is outstanding on a bright and clear day. My biggest issue (besides looking a bit weird with the camera stuck onto my cycle helmet) was the fact that it kept misting up. Alot of my footage has been spoilt by varying levels of blur caused by the lens of the case misting up from the centre outwards. I'd noticed this previously, once when 'Going Ape' (at Margam Park Go Ape) and then again during the WRGB, Margam Park was an especially wet day, so although frustrated at the lack of viewable video I put it down to the very humid weather. However, WRGB was predominately dry and the Brecon ride yesterday was a fine, dry and not very humid day. As the camera warms up during use, it causes the moisture trapped in the case to condense on the lens of the case. I've empty the cupboards to look for small packs of silica gel, but even the smallest won't fit. So it looks like I'll have to pay the fairly expensive price for the GoPro Anti-fog inserts. ** A Fix?!

MBR have a write up of the route on their website HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment