Wednesday 31 July 2013

Giant goes 650b

Giant have released details of their 650b (27.5 inch) wheel bikes, this is something I've been waiting to see more details about for sometime!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/globalstartpage/giant-27-5/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.27.5.1.2014/14783/66102/

I've tried a few 29ers, and I didn't like them (certainly not an exhaustive test, just a few rides around when I was picking my new bike at the start of the year). I've felt that the 650b was something that would really suit me, but certainly there's been nothing available in my price range until now.

I can't justify buying another new full sus bike, though the Anthem and Trance are lovely looking bikes. But, and its a big but, I might be able to stretch to replacing my hardtail with a new 650b hardtail with the Cycle to work scheme. This does of course rely on them been under £1000, I'm hoping that Giant price the bikes for the UK with the scheme in mind. I've also seen a couple of Jamis 650b hardtails, the 2013 Nemesis is a good looking bike, but was sold out in my size. I'll be interested to see what 2014 brings from Jamis, unfortunately, I think that it's going be out of the £1000 C2W limit.

I took a couple of screen shots of the Giant Trance's to compare the geometry and crank heights (I keep hitting my pedals!) Overlaying them in Paintshop Pro (non scientific test) it appears that the crank height is actually lower on the 27.5 Trance. Only time (or more details from Giant) will tell!

I'd really like to give then new Anthem and Trance a try out an see how they ride, time to annoy my LBS again!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog.. nice! Have you made any progress with a Giant? I've juat picked up an Anthem and it's gorgeous. I love it afyer only a few rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, thanks for your comment. The Anthem is a lovely looking bike and has had some great reviews and it sounds like you're enjoying it! Giant keep moving the release date for the 650b Talon 0 & 1 so still waiting for a test ride. But narrowed down the choice to a Cube ltd or the Talon.

      Delete